Menu

BOW HORN BAY

VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT

History

The Bow Horn Bay Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1952 as the Qualicum Bay Fire Department, but the name was confusing due to proximity to the Qualicum Beach Fire Department, and the coverage area was expanding exponentially.  So in 1956 it became the Bow Horn Bay Fire Department (an acronym for Bowser, Horne Lake Road and Qualicum Bay area).  After moving several times from one inadequate building to another, a purpose built three-bay hall was erected on Lions Way in Qualicum Bay in 1978.  A couple of years later another two bays were added on to the rear of the present hall. 

The department presently has nine pieces of equipment, a Superior Pumper, a Rosenbauer pumper, a Freightliner mini-pumper, two Freightliner FL80 1500 gallon tenders, a Ford F-450 Cube Van as Command vehicle, a Ford F-450 former BC ambulance as rescue vehicle, a Chevrolet 2500 rescue vehicle and a Ford F-450 Cube Van for fire hydrant maintenance. There are currently 23 members on the roster.